Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hitting the Back Button on Your Season




Although my roto baseball teams are doing fairly well this year (one in 1st, one in 4th), there are some moves I've made where I'd like to take a mulligan.

Vicente Padilla - I drafted this guy thinking he might reproduce his 4.50 ERA in 200 IP from last year at a very low price. Instead, he has been downright awful, with a 1.81 WHIP and opponents hitting .326 off of him. I hung onto him as long as I could, and then dropped him in June when it became obvious that a turn around wasn't in order. He got hurt shortly after.

Ervin Santana - I take back all the nice things I've said about this guy. I traded Joe Borowski to get him and Fernando Rodney, plus the injured Juan Rivera at $2. I was convinced that Ervin would shake his weird home/road splits (good at home, awful on the road), but all he's done is gotten worse in Anaheim. Last night's torching by the D-Rays (14 hits, 6 runs) puts him right on the verge of being cut.

Corey Patterson - Although he's turned on the juice lately, my gut says it won't last. The guy has no idea up at the dish, and aside from his speed, really doesn't do much for my roster, and kills my batting average. He was fairly expensive at $16, so I should have passed on him and gone for Granderson at $6 or Shannon Stewart at $2.

Johnny Damon - He's not a bad player, but he's been hurt all year, and when he plays, he can't hit. He has stolen double-digit bases, so that's the only bright spot for my $31.

Howie Kendrick - Another good player who can't stay healthy. I went high on the Halos' second baseman of the future, dishing out $26 for a high batting average and lots of runs and steals. Instead, I've reaped a decent batting average and a lot of time on the DL.

Rocco Baldelli - What was I thinking here? That he might actually be healthy for a month? See Howie Kendrick...I guess it's only $14 down the drain.

Bartolo Colon - Big Fat Colon has pitched awfully awful the last couple of months. I thought I had a steal at $2, but all he's done is run up my ERA and WHIP. I keep waiting for the Angels to DL him or send him down so I can reserve him, but for now he's still on my active roster (ouch!)

What have been your worst decisions in your fantasy league this year?

3 comments:

Butch said...

I had Billy Butler but had to choose between keeping him or Jack Cust... looks like I blew that call.

Oddly enough in my "big money" league -- big being relative to my empty wallet of course -- all the moves I made that I hated two months ago are looking like good ones now. I started out the first two months at the bottom of the standings, and kept kicking myself for paying top dollar for Mariano Rivera and Manny Ramirez. (It's A.L.-only) Now they've carried me right back into the race. I can't win it (barring a miracle), but with a little luck I can finish in the money, and that's a nice feeling considering I was dead in May.

Actually I always had faith that Manny and Mo would come around. The thing I hated about this league was getting into a bidding war for Jason Bartlett. I threw him out for a buck as one of those guys that you don't really want, and then crickets. Finally a half-hearted bid of "$2." I looked at his numbers from '06 and thought, well, he won't hit .300 again, but maybe he'll have 10 SBs, so, OK, $3.

Next thing I know I'm the proud owner of Barlett for $9. I spent all spring blaming Bartlett for my team being awful, and now he's got 19 SBs... money well spent!

Scott said...

Those seem like pretty decent moves. $9 was maybe high for Barlett, but as long as he's running, he's worth it.
I have Rivera, too, but I knew he would come around as well.

Oh, did I forget Tomo Ohka???

The X-Poet said...

My biggest mistake was agreeing to play in our league. I have no idea what I'm doing in fantasy baseball and most of my moves have reflected that.