Monday, July 30, 2007

Georgia on my Mind

As the Major League Baseball trade deadline nears, my evil roto mind is churning. You see, I lost Mark Teixeira from my 1st place AL squad today, and must now figure out how to replace his Avg, Home Runs, Runs and RBI from players on the Free Agent List (not likely), or the guys coming over to the AL from the NL.

Let's see... on the Free Agent list we have Alex Cora, Raul Casanova and Rob Quinlan. Hmmm. Better look elsewhere.
Guys coming to the AL so far: Jarrod Saltalamachia. I doubt he can put up Big Tex's numbers, but he might make a nice platoon with Gerald Laird.
My only other option is to try to make a trade. I've got two closers, so I could deal one. That's kinda risky. I have overachieving starting pitchers like Jarrod Washburn and Shawn Marcum. Maybe I can deal Marcum for Gary Sheffield, even though I really don't want to. I probably wouldn't keep Sheff and his big salary next year, and Marcum is just $6 for the next two years.

The plight I face is really not much different from the GM of a major league team who has to replace an injured superstar right before the deadline. Do we go for the gusto this year, and possibly sacrifice next year? Or do we hang back, hoping Howie Kendrick will get healthy, and Kevin Millwood will right himself enough to keep us on top for two months?

Maybe some big name hitter will cross over to the AL in the next 12 hours, and I will have the cap space to land him. At least our league's trade deadline (August 12) allows me some time to ponder my conquest. Some leagues use July 31st as their deadline, which allows all of 12 hours to rearrange one's roster. Insanity prevails in such cases.

I hope Big Tex likes it in Atlanta. Sniff. Sniff.

4 comments:

Butch said...

That's tough. I was debating putting in a claim for Salty in my A.L.-only league, but I have Posada and it's a one-catcher league. (I'd prefer the traditional two catchers, but whatever.) So it comes down to Salty or the struggling and often benched Dan Johnson... not sure which one is the better asset there. I suppose Saltalamacchia as he's the better keeper.

My repeated efforts to trade Gagne before the deadline were for naught and now he's on the Red Sox. I might just keep him for a few weeks as the Sox have a ridiculously easy schedule and he might pick up some cheap wins.

Scott said...

The good thing about Salty is he qualifies at 1B in my league. I alreay have two decent catchers, so i can slide him right in to Teixeira's spot if I want to bid high enough.

I also lost Mackowiak and Proctor to the NL...

Butch said...

You can't be too broken up about losing Proctor!

What do you think about the soon-to-be-called-up Adam Jones?

Scott said...

I think Jones has a good future. I compare him to the D-Backs' Chris Young, although I was a little higher on Young than I am on Jones.

Jones is hitting over .300 at AAA and has 24 HR and 80+ RBI.

I expect Jones will hit around .250 with double-digit homers and steals next year. He will get an opportunity this year as well, but some M's players are already unhappy that he will be getting playing time over Jason Ellison (whatever).