Monday, December 3, 2007

Angels Should 'Just Say No'



The Florida Marlins are trying to wipe out my fantasy teams in one fell swoop. The fish are attempting to deal superstar 3B Miguel Cabrera, and they are asking a lot in return. The Angels have offered up young star Howie Kendrick, catcher Jeff Mathis, and either (pitchers) Ervin Santana or Nick Adenhardt.

The problem for me is that I have two teams in an AL-only roto league, and I own Kendrick, Mathis and Santana. I would lose those guys with no compensation if they are traded to the NL. Two of them (Kendrick and Santana) are on my defending champion Golden Sombreros.

The Angels are loaded with infield talent and starting pitching, which allows them to perhaps offer more talent than any other MLB team. They can afford to trade Kendrick because they have young infielder Sean Rodriguez almost ready for the show. As if the Angels offer wasn't enough, the Marlins countered by asking for Santana AND Adenhardt to go along with Mathis and Kendrick.

I know the Halos are looking for a 3B, but the Marlins asking price seems pretty high, when you consider that Kendrick is still very cheap, and Cabrera will likely cost his new team $11 million or more this year. With the new additions the Angels have already made, they might be well served to keep Kendrick, and try to go after another 3B (Chavez/Blalock/Beltre) with a lesser package. That would keep my fantasy team a little happier.

No comments: